August 28, 2012

Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie







































I am obsessed with smoothies. I have one every single day for breakfast, unless I sleep in and don't have time to blend one up. I was having a lot of fruit-based smoothies but I found that they weren't really holding me over until lunch time, so I started adding protein powder into my smoothies. I have a big jar of protein power and that usually does the trick, but I have lately found that I have become accustomed to the taste and it is somewhat bland.

I figured that peanut butter may be a good way to add some protein to my smoothies, and I am now obsessed with peanut butter banana smoothies. There are many different recipes available online but I have concocted one of my own that it simply delicious (in my humble opinion):


Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie

1 cup vanilla yogurt

3 tbsp smooth peanut butter
1 banana {chopped}
1 scoop protein powder {optional}
1 tsp vanilla extract
2-3 cups almond milk

1. Place the vanilla yogurt and peanut butter into the bottom of the blender.


2. Chop the banana. Depending on the strength of your blender, you may need to chop the banana into fine slices, or you may need to mash the banana. My blender is fairly high-powered and I typically shop the banana into chunks that are approximately 1cm in width. Once chopped, add the banana to the blender.


3. Add the vanilla extract to the blender. If you wish to add protein power to the smoothie now would be the time as well. I typically add some protein powder into the mix on days when I am overly tired or when I know it will be a little longer before I will be able to eat lunch. It tends to hold me over longer.


4. The almond milk goes into the blender last. The amount of almond milk depends on how thick or how think I want the smoothie to be. Also, it depends on the size of the banana; larger bananas mean that there is less room in the blender, and I tend to put less almond milk into the blender so I don't run the risk of overflowing it and making a mess.


5. Blend until all ingredients are blended smooth and there are no more chunks of banana present.



Photo credit: Taste of Home

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...