August 28, 2012

Update: New Blue Jeans










































Last week I posted about how I had worn new blue jeans to work and the ink has rubbed off all over me, effectively turning me into a smurf from the waist down and making my hands look like I was in a boxing match.When I got home that night I searched online and I was able to find a few suggestions on how to prevent dye from rubbing off of new pants, and how to deal with the messy pair I currently had to deal with. Some of the suggestions were pretty good, while others are ones that I would never try as I would be concerned about ruining my pants.

Once of the suggestions that I considered recommended that I turn the pants inside out and soak them overnight  in a bathtub of cold salt water. I thought about trying this, except that I didn't want to run the risk of dying my bathtub blue in the process. I don't know whether it is possible to dye a white porcelain tub blue with indigo denim dye, but I don't want to find out the hard way.

So instead I called my mom; I figured she would have the answer and I was right. She told me to take the dye-soaked jeans and turn them inside out. She told me to take a similar-coloured pair of blue jeans and turn them inside out as well, and wash both pairs in the washing machine with cold water.

On my mom's advice I tried this trick last night when I got home from work last night.I have the same style of jeans but in a lighter wash, and I chose this as the pair to wash the messy ones with. When the washing machine completed the wash cycle, I took them out. Being that they were inside out, it was difficult to tell what, if anything, had happened to the colour of either pair. Though I was curious and wanted to have them dry and ready for inspection as soon as possible, I didn't want to put the jeans into the dryer and risk shrinking them. So I hung them on my drying rack and let them stay there overnight and for the full day while I was at work.

I didn't have a chance to check them when I got home as I was rushing out to a family dinner, so I checked them just now. They are still a little damp, but dry enough to tell see that neither pair has any strange dye blotches. It actually looks like nothing happened to either pair, as both appear to be the same shade of blue that they were previous to the washing. Overall, I am pretty pleased with how this turned out, and I would recommend this method to anyone looking to remove excess indigo dye from their denim.

Photo Credit: American Eagle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...