September 6, 2012

Mama Said There'd Be Days Like This...























Today was an absolute write-off. Honestly, not a single thing went right today, to the point that it was almost comical. Almost, but not quite...

Having gone to bed last night with a brutal migraine headache, I was pleased to wake up this morning feeling much better and without the pounding pain. This was short-lived however, as while taking my shower I started to feel the all-too-familiar pounding behind my eyes. Much more dull than the previous day, but still present nonetheless.

Despite my growing headache, I was able to eat breakfast and get ready to go. I left my house on time, at 7:30am, expecting to get to work around 8:30. I had a meeting at 10:00 at another associated office, which would require that I leave the office at 9:00 to drive there. So arriving at my office at 8:30 would allow me a little time to check my emails and voice mails before heading out onto the road again.

This, however, was apparently not to be. The main highway that I use to get to work had some kind of traffic issue (which sadly happens more often than not), and as a result traffic was at a standstill. Despite having left home with lots of time to get to the office, I ended up being late. Super late. I didn't arrive at the office until ten after nine. So much for checking my emails; I was now going to have to park, check in, grab my laptop and the directions to the meeting, and then jump right back into the car. And to make matters worse, I was supposed to be carpooling with a co-worker. Which meant that not only was I going to be late for a meeting (for which I was responsible for taking the minutes) but now my co-worker was going to be late as well.

So I got to the office, gathered my things, and was informing our reception staff that I would be attending this meeting and out of the office for the majority of the day. I was picking up my purse when I noticed that the yogurt I had placed in there for later had exploded. And not just a little leak, it was a full-out explosion and everything in my purse was now coated in blueberry yogurt. So I had to stop and clean up this mess before I could leave, making us even later.

So my co-worker finally got on the road, and she drove as I was going to navigate. It was a great plan, until I discovered that I had left the maps as the office, as I had put them down to deal with my yogurt fiasco. So we made it up, and with the help of the GPS on our phones, and if we hurried, we were on track to get to the meeting right as it began.

We were on the highway thinking that things would work out after all, until we saw signs indicating that the exit we needed to take was closed. Super. So we drove a little faster and resolved to get off at the next exit. Except that it was closed too. And the next one. And the next one after that. So much for being on time; by the time we were able to get off the highway we knew there was no way we could make it; we were going to be late.

And so we ended up being 15 minutes late for the meeting, which all in all wasn't too bad, considering what we had gone through in order to get there. My day basically remained at the status quo, and despite taking several doeses of extra-strength Advil all day long, my headache remained stuck behind my eyes, pounding away like a drum. So needless to say, I am happy to be on the other side of this day, and I am looking forward to going to bed and closing my eyes to this disaster of a day!

Photo Credit: DeviantArt: Anowia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...