February 20, 2013

Bed Rest Blues


























About 15 years ago I injured my back/spine very badly. Since that time I have had numerous problems with it, which has resulted in several trips to the doctor's office, a few sleepless nights in the emergency room, and many hours spent at physio enduring treatments that range from exercising to massage to acupuncture. Though I have recovered from my injury, I have been informed that I have four permanently herniated disks and arthritis in the associated vertebrae, which will never completely heal. Most of the time this isn't a problem for me, but once in a while the area becomes aggravated and I am confined to my bed while the swelling in my spine slowly eases.

Sadly, this week has been one of those weeks: I slipped and fell when shoveling the driveway last week {something that I shouldn't have been doing in the first place, so kind of my fault}. Initially when I fell my shoulder and wrist were very sore, as they took the brunt of my fall - when you have a chronic injury of this kind you learn very quickly how to fall to protect your back, but it's often at the expense of other body parts. So based on the pain and stiffness in my arm and the lack thereof in my back, I thought I had saved myself from the inevitable back pain.

But this past weekend it started. It creeped in slowly with some mild stiffness and some tingling in my lower calves {nerve pain is often displaced - so I have learned}. But as the weekend wore on so did my pain, increasing bit by bit until it became a full-on nightmare. Due to a cocktail of muscle relaxants, nerve-blockers, and good old-fashioned Advil, I have been able to function {if barely} this week. Due to a hectic work schedule I have not been able to take time off, and I have suffered through a few meetings and several hours in the car. However, in my down-time I am literally laying down flat on my back, as this is the only way that I am able to obtain any relief from my aches and pains. I'm sure I don't need to tell you how horribly boring this is, as well as how frustrating it is to lay around thinking of all the things you should/need to be doing instead. I know I should enjoy this reprieve from the busy pace of everyday life while I have it - after all, how many times have I complained that I wish I could just sit/lay down and do nothing? But the grass is always greener I guess...

Photo Credit: Babble

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...