March 25, 2013

The Light at the End of the Tunnel


























I am so sincerely sorry for having not posted in over two weeks. I am sure that some of you wondered where I was, or perhaps thought that I had ditched the blog cold-turkey {wouldn't be the first time..} and for leaving in you in the dark I apologize. But this is the light at the end of the tunnel, both literally and figuratively. I have been unable to post for the past few weeks because I have been having severe back issues, much worse than I had the last time I was able to post.

Previously when I was whining about being bored - well I should have bitten my tongue. For a little while there I seemed to to be getting better, but it got so much worse. About a week and a half ago I woke up in the middle of the night in pain and unable to get comfortable. It was strange, as up until then I was completely pain-free when I was laying down. I should have recognized it for what it was - a gigantic problem - but I moved around and finally drifted off back to sleep. In the morning I got up and went to work as if nothing happened, which only made my situation worse. But midday I was unable to walk upright, and as I limped around my office, half hunched over like some kind of troll, people kept telling me to go home.

Thankfully, I listened and I went home, took some painkillers, and went to bed. I spent the next day and a half laying in my bed, too sore and stiff to get up, with the exception of needing to use the bathroom. And it's truly no exaggeration when I say that I only got up when I really, really needed to - it was so difficult and painful to get up that I was limiting my fluid intake and holding it in as long as I could. Not only was I a hump-backed troll, but I was also channeling my inner camel. It was a great couple days...

Finally on the Friday I was able to see my doctor and get some relief. She explained that not only had I irritated my chronic sciatica, but that as a result of favouring the injured area I was now in complete muscle spasm down the left side of my spine, as well as a couple on the right {apparently this was the cause of the limp and hunch}. She prescribed my some strong painkillers and some heavy-duty muscle relaxants, and told me not to get out of bed until I could stand up straight and only had minimal pain. So I listened, and I am proud to say that I took two whole days off work to relax and recover. For me, someone who has never taken a sick day in their entire career, this was a big deal!

So I am sure you can forgive me for the lack of posts over the last little while; I have still been taking it easy, and I am trying to relax and lay down every chance I get because I am terrified of rushing the healing process and wrecking my back again. But I have successfully returned to work and I am trying my best to resume normal life, which means back to blogging! Looking forward to chatting again soon!

Photo Credit: Flickr

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Mandi! I'm sorry to hear about your back troubles, and am glad you're on the mend. Take it easy , and don't be afraid to take sick days if you need them. You're allotted sick leave for a reason!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...